Director of Finance: Community Health and HousingRequisition R064828 Market Baltimore, MD Department Shift Days Schedule Full-time
Thank you for considering a career at Bon Secours!
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE: COMMUNITY HEALTH AND HOUSING | Baltimore, MD
Work From Home Possible - *Baltimore Local Preferred*
Primary Function/General Purpose of Position
The Finance Director, Housing and Community Health is responsible for the financial and, in concert with the Executive Director/Housing & Community Development, operational performance of the rental housing portfolio and community health programs of the Bon Secours Baltimore Health System, a member of Bon Secours Mercy Health (BSMH). The position will be responsible for performing general accounting functions in accordance with BSMH policies and procedures, and all laws set forth by local, state and federal regulatory agencies. The position will also ensure the sustainability of the housing portfolio and community health programs, all while carrying out the mission of the Sisters of Bon Secours in West Baltimore. Further, the position will assist in the development of new programs and properties by providing expertise on management, financial stewardship and services.
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance from an accredited college or university. Advanced degree preferred.
- CPA certification preferred.
- Minimum 7-10 years previous work and supervisory experience, demonstrating knowledge of general policies and procedures followed in an accounting department.
- Requires expertise in general principles of accounting, budgeting, payroll, and significant, directly related, and progressive experience.
- Experience in real estate, residential property management or affordable housing and/or not-for-profit accounting is preferred, but not required.
- Strong communication, organizational, planning, problem solving, technology, analytical, judgment and research skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, internet, and other systems including an accounting and payroll system.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Own vehicle and valid driver’s license.
Essential Job Functions
- Prepares month-end financial reporting for distribution to internal executive leadership, as well as external parties, for all assigned areas.
- Reviews and/or prepares assigned local system monthly journal entries during month-end close.
- Reviews and/or prepares monthly reconciliations of assigned local system general ledger accounts.
- Maintains general ledger accounts in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and BSMH policy, and researches exceptions.
- Leads the generation and preparation of programmatic reports and budget analyses and communicates/advises senior management on significant trends.
- Review and analyze monthly financial statements, prepares various ad-hoc analysis as needed, and makes recommendations to leadership.
- Support and review annual audits of the BSMH housing and community health programs as well as the individual housing properties
- Support and review IRS Form 990 preparation of the BSMH housing and community health programs.
- Participates in annual budget process for both operational and capital budget and working directly with operational/programmatic leaders on their budget(s).
- Initiate BSBHS capital requests and assist with preparing BSMH capital reports, as needed.
- Analyze various payroll reports on a bi-weekly basis for processing, as needed.
- Sets operating procedures and conducts training for staff responsible for financial management, specifically related to stewardship and tracking of grant spending.
- Directs staff accountants in the creation of automated and ad hoc reports to support program staff in appropriately spending down grant budgets.
Monitor performance of Unity Properties’ rental housing portfolio:
- Responsible for monthly review of property management company financial statements, dashboard and account reconciliations including identification of discrepancies and areas of opportunities.
- Interacts directly with the property management company on a monthly and or weekly basis regarding any areas of financial concern as identified in the review of monthly reporting package(s) and budgets.
- In collaboration with the property management company, create annual operating and capital needs budgets for approval by Executive Director and CFO, as well as the Board of Directors.
- Review and make recommendations for update/improvement of property management plans.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director/Housing & Community Development and CFO, develop business plan, structure and resources to insource certain financial aspects of property management for a growing portfolio.
Asset Management and New Development:
- Prepares and maintains asset management projections, by property, for future cash flow and reinvestment needs.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director/Community Works, Executive Director/Housing & Community Development and CFO to develop and implement short-term improvements and long-range plans for the success of the portfolio.
- Provide financial and operations expertise when BSBHS is developing new properties or refinancing existing ones.
- Collaborate with Financial Grants Manager on regulatory obligations and compliance.
- Monitor housing compliance with all regulatory, insurance and financial obligations.
- Be part of a larger Bon Secours Mercy Health team working for the success of the rental housing portfolio, community health programs, and the implementation of the Bon Secours Mercy Health mission around Community Health.
- Meet all internal and external deadlines.
- Supervises staff accountants and provides direction to them to meet program specific and organization-wide goals.
- Ensure proper stewardship of organization’s financial resources.
Other duties, as assigned
Other Job Functions
- Demonstrates active listening skills – Competent skills
- Ability to ask questions for better understanding or clarification – Competent skills
- Ability to constructively receive feedback – Competent skills
- Ability to listen to another's point of view – Competent skills
- Ability to proactively seek feedback – Competent skills
- Ability to use feedback to make improvements – Competent skills
- Communicates / responds timely with customers and co-workers – Competent skills
- Understands and demonstrates appropriate nonverbal communication – Competent skills
- Provides constructive feedback– Developing skills
Conceptual understanding skills:
- Display an understanding of standards and expectations of own job – Competent skills
- Creates effective product/report based on conceptual guidelines – Competent skills
- Identifies opportunities and implements process improvement activities resulting in enhanced financial outcomes – Developing skills
- Completes work in a timely manner – Competent skills
- Meets deadlines and communicates status of meeting deadlines – Competent skills
- Demonstrates effective skills/habits regarding documentation – Developing skills
- Ability to prioritize competing workloads – Competent skills
- Demonstrates ability to identify needs to improve the workplace – Developing skills
- Viewed as a resource to staff and is able to assist/teach others – Competent skills
- Hold self-accountable – Competent skills
- Constructively contribute to meetings – Competent skills
- Ability to lead effective meetings– Developing skills
- Demonstrates honesty, reliability and dependability – Competent skills
- Demonstrates concern for impact to area of direct responsibility – Competent skills
- Demonstrates concern for impact to area outside of direct responsibility – Developing skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally with departments outside of direct responsibility – Developing skills
- Ability to identify when someone needs help – Developing skills
- Communicates obstacles to achieving his/her own goals – Competent skills
- Measures progress towards his/her own goals – Competent skills
- Meets expectations of professional development program – Competent skills
- Provides input for setting his/her own goals – Competent skills
- Seeks individual customer feedback directly from customer or through supervisor – Competent skills
- Seeks opportunities for training on new approaches, techniques and methods – Developing skills
Bon Secoursis an equal opportunity employer.
We’ll also reward your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Department:SS Ambulatory Ventures - Administration
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employers, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at email@example.com.
I wanted to get into a career where I’m happy to go to work.Luis F. Registered Nurse