Medical Assistant (MA) Vienna Primary CareMercy Health PhysiciansRequisition R043237 Market Youngstown, OH Department Vienna Primary Care Shift Days Schedule Full-time
Thank you for considering a career at Mercy Health
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Physician Practice – Medical Assistant (PP-MA) works with his/her physician(s) to provide direct outpatient care. As a member of the patient care team the PP-MA is trained in performing a wide range of skilled administrative and clinical duties. The PP-MA performs a variety of age specific duties in providing direct outpatient care. All clinical care is done under the direction and supervision of a physician, mid-level provider and/or RN who has determined appropriate tasks for delegation. The PP-MA makes observations as directed by the physician and/or RN and reports deviations.
- Graduate of a medical assistant program, required. Waived for current incumbents.
- Graduate of an accredited medial assistant program, preferred.
- Certification as a Medical Assistant, required.
- CPR certification, required.
- Experience providing administrative duties and clinical care in a physician practice or ambulatory clinic setting, preferred.
- Computer literacy, required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Broad range of administrative and technical skills in the context of the healthcare environment.
- Impacts activities in other work areas on a frequent basis and contributes in multiple work areas.
- Makes decisions based on policy and/or consultation with co-workers and team members.
- Requires judgment in selection of alternative courses of action.
- Adapts standard principles to new or changed conditions.
- Demonstrates critical thought process and can work independently.
- Provides feedback to assist with decision making process.
- Performs analyses and makes recommendations regarding utilization of resources.
- Coordinates work with others.
- Conveys detailed, routine information.
- Provides written responses in standard format to others knowledgeable in the subject.
- Requires listening skills to maintain cooperative associations.
PRINCIPAL JOB ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Receives patient from the waiting room and escorts the patient to the exam room.
- Obtains and records vital signs, height and weight, chief complaint, medication and allergies in the patient medical record.
- Records medical, surgical and family history in the patient medical record.
- Reviews MyChart with the patient and registers them upon patient approval.
- Enters the patient’s pharmacy into the patient medical record.
- Enters the patient’s care team information (i.e. PCP, referring physician, specialists, etc…).
- Schedules tests as directed by the physician or mid-level provider.
- Records patient critical lab values, adverse reactions and pertinent information and promptly reports to the physician and/or RN.
- Prepares patient and assists the physician with set up and clean up of procedures (i.e. pap smear, biopsy, etc…) as per protocols.
- Anticipates patient and caregivers requests and needs and responds in a timely manner.
- Collects and records quality assurance data on equipment (i.e. pulse oximeter, refrigerator, emergency cart, etc…) according to protocols.
- Observes universal precautions and aseptic techniques with patient and the proper use of medical instruments and equipment.
- Performs and safely operates all medical equipment according to the manufacturers’ instructions and protocols.
- Performs computer order entry and scheduling functions in appropriate systems (i.e. Star, CarePATH, etc…).
- Able to perform administrative duties (i.e. scheduling, registration, insurance authorization, answering phone, etc…).
- Acts as a liaison and support person for the patient and caregivers.
- Assists with patient education and discharge instructions in conjunction with the physician and/or RN.
- Inventories exam rooms and determines supply needs. Conveys needs to the appropriate personnel.
- Assist with the daily cleaning of exam rooms and clinic station areas. Assess maintenance needs.
- Performs other job duties as assigned.
JOB ACCOUNTABILITIES – Other:
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
Occasional – 1 to 33% of workday
Frequent – 34 – 66% of workday
Constant – 67 – 100% of workday
Not at all – 0% of workday
Walking: 2.3 mph, 0 incline; unilateral vertical reach 36-72”; bilateral carry 30’, 25#; push/pull 100’, 19ft.lbs.; lift 0-25# 6-36” from floor; lift 0-25# 36-48” from floor; lift 0-25# 6-72” from floor, climbing stairs; operating machines: (2 foot/feet).
Sitting, unilateral horizontal reach 0-18”, bilateral fine motor manipulation functional near, far, color vision aided or unaided; functional hearing aid or unaided; functional verbal communication skills; operating machines: (2 hand(s)).
Not at All
Hold 200# patient sidelying while doing procedure x 2 min; roll 200# patient away/toward self; transfer 105# person chair-chair 5x/hr. with gait belt; bed-cart transfer with 200# person and assist of one with sheet; more 200# person up in bed with assist of one and sheet; climbing ladders, working from heights, crawling, kneeling, running, operating machines; keyboarding & CRT usage.
Category III Job Classification – HMHP employee jobs that include all other employees not covered under Category I & II jobs whose tasks do not involve exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues or used sharps.
Job Hazard Risks:
Infectious Disease Exposure
Hazard Materials Exposure (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical)
Workplace Violence Potential
Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
We’ll also reward your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify.
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Department:Vienna Primary Care
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, please email email@example.com. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
I wanted to get into a career where I’m happy to go to work.Luis F. RN