Surgical Tech Non Certified- Inpatient Surgery - Anderson HospitalRequisition R068623 Market Cincinnati, OH Department Inpatient Surgery - Anderson Shift Days/Afternoons Schedule Full-time
Thank you for considering a career at Mercy Health
Summary of Primary Function/General Purpose of Position
Facilitates the operative or other invasive procedure by preparing and providing the required sterile instruments, supplies and equipment. Maintains the sterile field and anticipates and responds to the needs of the surgical team.
Essential Job Functions
• Functions as the scrub person and assists as trained during operative and other invasive procedures by assembling supplies and equipment required for the procedure.
• Preparing and organizing sterile supplies and instrument for the procedure. Performing surgical counts with the circulating RN according to policy.
• Assisting with placement of sterile drapes. Provides instruments and supplies to the surgical team during the procedure. Maintains an organized sterile field and ensures the sterility of the field by taking corrective action as needed. Maintains aseptic technique.
• Retrieves and collects specimens and labels those specimens appropriately and correctly.
• Reports any implanted devices, catheters, drains, and packing to circulator.
• Provides complete case preparation and has knowledge of special instruments, supplies, and equipment needs to the pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients.
• Demonstrates knowledge of patients’ rights and responsibilities according to the patients age and understanding.
• Demonstrates understanding of patients Advance Directives.
• Assists in CPR as needed.
• Cleans and prepares instruments for processing and transport them to the decontamination area. Assists with post procedure cleaning of the operative or invasive procedure room and preparation of room subsequent patients.
• Displays and promotes teamwork. Demonstrates flexibility regarding unit/area staffing and scheduling needs. Maintains personal grooming and attire consistent with policy.
• Pursues professional development and personal development. Participates in ongoing educational and competency verification activities.
• Promotes cost containment efforts and performance improvement initiatives. Participates in financial accountability by utilizing resources in a cost-conscious manner.
• Participates in all patient safety care measures.
• Takes "on call" as scheduled and is available within the time frames as indicated by the department.
• Participates in the orientation of new staff and students as assigned.
• Prepares and performs surgical skin prep and clipping as indicated by procedure, inserts urinary catheter as required.
The technician may also be assigned to the care and comfort of patients according to the specific needs of the unit, and according to the technician’s knowledge, abilities, and skills.
• Able to follow general instructions
• Possess surgical conscience
• Moves with a sense of urgency
• Understands basic anatomy/physiology
• Knowledgeable in infection control practices,
• Knowledgeable of AORN and AST recommendations related to practice
• Anticipates needs of surgeon, team, and patient
• Able to work independently
• Critical thinking
• Remain calm under pressure
• Strong communication skills
• Able to handle self in a professional manner
• Takes direction
• Basic Windows application computer skills
Periods of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur
May be exposed to high noise levels and bright lights
May be exposed to limited hazardous substances or body fluids
May be exposed to human blood and other potentially infectious materials
May have periods of constant interruptions
Required Minimum Education: Associates Degree
Specialty/Major: KY: Graduate of an accredited surgical technology training program or equivalent experience
Ohio: Graduate of an accredited surgical technology training program or equivalent experience
Licensing & Certifications:
• Basic Life Support (BLS) – American Heart Association
• Minimum of one year perioperative experience, can include military training for surgical technologists and/or operating room technicians
Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
We’ll also reward your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify.
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Department:Inpatient Surgery - Anderson
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, please email email@example.com. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
I wanted to get into a career where I’m happy to go to work.Luis F. Registered Nurse