Palliative Medicine Inpatient RN
Newport News, Virginia
At Bon Secours Mercy Health our nurses are able to see the impact they can have on our patients’ lives. We encourage and support our nurses as they develop and grow in their profession. Whether you are a new graduate nurse or joining us further along in your career we have opportunities and multiple career path options for you. Every patient means the world to someone and at Bon Secours Mercy Health our nurses mean the world to us.
“Being able to positively impact peoples' lives every single day. Great culture and friendly people at the home office in Bond Hill. New building/technology and wonderful cafeteria staff and food.”
What makes a successful Nurse at Bon Secours Mercy Health?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Compassion — We commit to accompanying those we serve with mercy and tenderness, recognizing that "being with" is as important as "doing for".
- Human dignity — We commit to upholding the sacredness of life and being respectful and inclusive of everyone.
- Service — We commit to providing the highest quality in every dimension of our ministry.
- Stewardship — We commit to promoting the responsible use of all human and financial resources, including Earth itself.
- Integrity — We commit to acting ethically and modeling right relationships in all of our individual and organizational encounters.
Palliative Medicine Inpatient RNRequisition R068435 Market Newport News, VA Department Shift Days Schedule Full-time
Thank you for considering a career at Bon Secours!
- Must be a Registered Nurse licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- BSN required
- Previous hospice or palliative medicine experience/competencies preferred
Essential Job Functions
- Receive and review potential Palliative Medicine consults for appropriateness based on Bon Secours Palliative Care Policy and Palliative Medicine inpatient consultation guidelines
- Review advance care planning (ACP) information and documents, including identifying medical decision maker, verifying information provided in ACP documents
- Support completion of Advance Care Planning documents as trained and appropriate (example, Advance Directives, Medical Power of Attorney, Physician Orders for Scope of Treatment (POST))
- Set up family meetings and participate with members of the primary care team/attending provider in discussions involving medical overview, benefit/burden, delivering bad news and assessing and communicating prognosis
- Elicit patient/family understanding of illness and discover/clarify patient and family goals of care
- Attend Palliative Medicine and/or hospital specific interdisciplinary rounds in collaboration with other members of the primary care team.
- Provide psychosocial and spiritual assessment and support for patients and families
- Assess past and current functional status.
- Recommend and support completion of ACP documents.
- Liaison with other members of the primary care team including care management, home care and hospice to support transitions of care.
- Provide education and End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) classes for front line nursing staff and ancillary staff in collaboration and coordination with the BSV Education team.
- Performs zero charge entry for all new Palliative Medicine consults in ConnectCare.
- Participate in weekly IDT meeting with a Palliative Medicine specialty provider
- Conducts data collection as requested and appropriate (example, POST document tracking for the palliative team)
- Attend First Steps and POST Facilitator training and become a certified POST facilitator within 6 months of hire.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age, specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in departmental policies and procedures.
- Provides patient care to adults
- Seek specialty Palliative Care RN certification within 2 years of hire.
Bon Secoursis an equal opportunity employer.
We’ll also reward your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Department:Palliative Care - Mary Immaculate
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employers, please email email@example.com. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In some instances, the nurse’s voice and touch is the last thing a patient will hear or feel. This is part of our calling as nurses, to be there for our patients in all stages of life, from the beginning to the very end.Ali L. Registered Nurse
You will have days where you are the sole reason that someone is alive. You won’t find that in any other career.Michael W. Registered Nurse
Paid Time Off
Recently Viewed Jobs
- Telecommunications Operator – Springfield Regional Springfield, Ohio
- Registered Nurse (RN) -FT- Evenings/Nights- Emergency Department- St.Mary's Hospital Richmond, Virginia
- Patient Safety Companion PRN- Mercy Health- Springfield Regional Springfield, Ohio