RN Medical/Surgical 5th Floor WEO Paducah, KY
At Bon Secours Mercy Health our nurses are able to see the impact they can have on our patients’ lives. We encourage and support our nurses as they develop and grow in their profession. Whether you are a new graduate nurse or joining us further along in your career we have opportunities and multiple career path options for you. Every patient means the world to someone and at Bon Secours Mercy Health our nurses mean the world to us.
“Being able to positively impact peoples' lives every single day. Great culture and friendly people at the home office in Bond Hill. New building/technology and wonderful cafeteria staff and food.”
What makes a successful Nurse at Bon Secours Mercy Health?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Compassion — We commit to accompanying those we serve with mercy and tenderness, recognizing that "being with" is as important as "doing for".
- Human dignity — We commit to upholding the sacredness of life and being respectful and inclusive of everyone.
- Service — We commit to providing the highest quality in every dimension of our ministry.
- Stewardship — We commit to promoting the responsible use of all human and financial resources, including Earth itself.
- Integrity — We commit to acting ethically and modeling right relationships in all of our individual and organizational encounters.
RN Medical/Surgical 5th Floor WEO Paducah, KYRequisition R093943 Market Paducah, Kentucky Department Med/Surg Unit - Lourdes Med/Surg 5th Floor Shift Days/Afternoons Schedule Full-time
Thank you for considering a career at Mercy Health
Summary of Primary Function/General Purpose of Position
The Registered Nurse Medical/Surgical functions as a care provider of a multidisciplinary care team responsible for the delivery of patient care through using the nursing process of assessment, diagnosing, planning, implementation, and evaluation. The RN possesses the basic knowledge of a patient's age and cultural diversity into the provision of patient care, demonstrates strong skills related to effective time management and prioritizing patient care, contributes to the provision of quality nursing care through performance improvement initiatives, collaborates with other professional disciplines, and supports the mission of the ministry to provide physical and psychological support to patients and families.
Essential Job Functions
In collaboration with members of interdisciplinary teams, the RN establishes goals and strategies for meeting the discharge or continuing care needs with the patient. The RN performs and documents complete patient assessments, initiates and maintains current nursing care plans for all assigned patients, identifies patient learning needs to provide individualized and comprehensive teaching, administers medications in a safe manner consistent with the State of Practice and Bon Secours Mercy Health policies and procedures, serves as a point of contact for patients' care coordination throughout the hospital departments, acts as a patient safety advocate by participating in ongoing quality improvement in the department, and serves as a patient advocate in collaboration with spiritual care, palliative care, and ethics.
• Assigns patient care according to the nursing skill, knowledge, and scope of practice of staff.
• Orients, facilitates learning experience, and provides education (based upon quality improvement indicators, outcomes, and implementation) to nursing staff and others.
• Possesses clinical knowledge, skills, and competency to provide evidence-based patient care in accordance with the current standards of practice, policy and procedure, and BSMH mission.
• Performs comprehensive assessment of patient's clinical condition and psychosocial needs of the patient and their supportive resources.
• Safely and efficiently develops, implements, and prioritizes plan of care.
• Application of the nursing process in patient care delivery.
• Assesses patient's physical and emotional responses to treatment to evaluate effectiveness of intervention and patient outcomes; revises plan of care accordingly.
• Assists patient and family in coping with patient's illness.
• Collaborates with others in the delivery of coordinated patient care.
• Strong interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills.
• Applies cultural diversity and inclusion principles when caring for patients and their support resources.
• Recognizes own limitations and seeks assistance and acquires information to perform safely.
• Advances personal and professional growth through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-services, and workshops.
• Exhibits professionalism through accountability for own and delegated actions.
• Integrates cost-effective measures into practice and models effective stewardship of available resources.
• Practices self-care and cultivates resilience in conflict and difficult circumstances.
• Protects the safety and privacy of all persons.
• Understanding and utilization of office and clinical technologies.
Periods of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur
May be exposed to physical altercations and verbal abuse
May be required to use physical restraints
May be exposed to high noise levels and bright lights
May be exposed to limited hazardous substances or body fluids
May be exposed to human blood and other potentially infectious materials
May have periods of constant interruptions
Prolonged periods of working alone
Lifting/Carrying (0-50 lbs.):34-66%
Lifting/Carrying (50-100 lbs.)34-66%
Push/Pull (0-50 lbs.)34-66%
Push/Pull (50-100 lbs.)34-66%
Additional Physical Requirements/Hazards
Manual dexterity (eye/hand coordination)
Perform shift work
Maneuver weight of patients
Hear alarms/telephone/tape recorder
Reach above shoulder
Repetitive arm/hand movements
Acuity - far
Acuity - near
Use of Latex Gloves
Exposure to toxic/caustic/chemicals/detergents
Exposure to moving mechanical parts
Exposure to dust/fumes
Exposure to potential electrical shock
Exposure to x ray/electromagnetic energy
Exposure to high pitched noises
Gaseous risk exposure
Adolescents (13-17 years)
Adults (18-64 years)
Geriatrics (65 years and older)
About Mercy Health
As a faith-based and patient-focused organization, Mercy Health exists to enhance the health and well-being of all people in mind, body and spirit through exceptional patient care. Success in this goal requires a culture of compassion, collaboration, excellence and respect. Mercy Health seeks people that are committed to our values of compassion, human dignity, integrity, service and stewardship to create an environment where associates want to work and help communities thrive.
Registered Nurse (RN) – Med-Surg – Mercy Health Lourdes Paducah Hospital
The Med-Surg Registered Nurse (RN) position is responsible for delivering exceptional nursing care to patients by:
- Utilizing strong organizational and leadership skills to assess patient status
- Providing care to patients with medical and surgical diagnoses
- Implementing clinical nursing interventions
- Having a highly diverse medical skillset
- Developing and performing patient care plans to enhance and improve outcomes
- Ensuring a safe and therapeutic environment
- Collaborate with the interdisciplinary care team
- Collect vital signs, administer IV medications, understand charting and assess patient condition
- Ability to perform at a higher patient-to-nurse ratio
- Evaluate, update and revise plan of care to facilitate achievement of planned and expected outcomes
- Administer medications in a safe manner consistent with the State of Practice and Mercy Health policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- Diploma of Nursing or Associate of Nursing from an accredited nursing program
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing (preferred)
- Previous RN experience on a similar nursing unit or Long-Term Care setting
- Charge Nurse responsibilities included
Required Licensing & Certifications:
- Current state licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) – American Heart Association (preferred upon hire, must obtain prior to direct patient care)
Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
We’ll also reward your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify.
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Scheduled Weekly Hours:36
Department:Med/Surg Unit - Lourdes Med/Surg 5th Floor
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at email@example.com
In some instances, the nurse’s voice and touch is the last thing a patient will hear or feel. This is part of our calling as nurses, to be there for our patients in all stages of life, from the beginning to the very end.Ali L. Registered Nurse
You will have days where you are the sole reason that someone is alive. You won’t find that in any other career.Michael W. Registered Nurse
Paid Time Off
Recently Viewed Jobs
- Clinical Coordinator (RN)- FT Evenings- 2N Telemetry Unit St. Mary's Hospital Richmond, Virginia
- Rad Technologist - PRN Kilmarnock, Virginia
- Registered Nurse (RN) - Rehab Services - Maryview Medical Center Portsmouth, Virginia