Registered Nurse - RN - PRN - NICU/Nursery - Any Shift - SMC
At Bon Secours Mercy Health our nurses are able to see the impact they can have on our patients’ lives. We encourage and support our nurses as they develop and grow in their profession. Whether you are a new graduate nurse or joining us further along in your career we have opportunities and multiple career path options for you. Every patient means the world to someone and at Bon Secours Mercy Health our nurses mean the world to us.
“Being able to positively impact peoples' lives every single day. Great culture and friendly people at the home office in Bond Hill. New building/technology and wonderful cafeteria staff and food.”
What makes a successful Nurse at Bon Secours Mercy Health?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Compassion — We commit to accompanying those we serve with mercy and tenderness, recognizing that "being with" is as important as "doing for".
- Human dignity — We commit to upholding the sacredness of life and being respectful and inclusive of everyone.
- Service — We commit to providing the highest quality in every dimension of our ministry.
- Stewardship — We commit to promoting the responsible use of all human and financial resources, including Earth itself.
- Integrity — We commit to acting ethically and modeling right relationships in all of our individual and organizational encounters.
Registered Nurse - RN - PRN - NICU/Nursery - Any Shift - SMCRequisition R125299 Market Petersburg, Virginia Department Nursery - Southside RMC - Petersburg Shift Nights Schedule Part-time
Thank you for considering a career at Bon Secours!
Southside Regional Medical Center is your community health care provider, a 300-bed facility located on a 50-acre campus with nearly 400 physicians representing more than 40 specialties. We work hard every day to be a place of healing, caring and connection for patients and families in the community we call home. Bon Secours – Southside Medical Center serves the communities of Petersburg, Hopewell, Colonial Heights, Fort Lee and Chester and the counties of Prince George, Dinwiddie, Sussex, Surry and Southern Chesterfield.
Days or Nights available!
12 Hour Shifts
Seeking Experienced RN's.
Summary of Primary Function
The Obstetrics (OB) Registered Nurse (RN) addresses the care provided to healthcare consumers in the context of woman-, newborn-, and family-
centered care and includes those who do not self-identify as women, or exclusively as women, as well as all people parenting newborns.
The competent and proficient OB RN provides, coordinates, plans, and evaluates nursing care, and supervises licensed and unlicensed associates
in nursing care delivery within established nursing procedures, professional standards, and organizational mission/policies/philosophies. This RN
demonstrates the ability to care for patients in the outpatient and/or acute care obstetrical setting as part of an Interprofessional team focused on
achieving the best individual maternal/neonatal/gynecology/women's health and population outcomes.
Essential Job Functions
• In collaboration with the interdisciplinary care team (Care Management in coordinating care [e.g. Children's Protective Services], transfer centers, and
pharmacies), conducts initial and ongoing patient assessment, analyzes assessment data, creates a plan of care, educates patient and/or family,
implements nursing care/interventions, evaluates the effectiveness of the nursing care/intervention, and advocates for the patient/family.
• Provides episodic (outpatient) and inpatient (at designated units) Obstetrical/Women's Health nursing care where applicable.
• Administers medications in a safe manner consistent with the State of Practice and Bon Secours Mercy Health; coordinates care within hospital
• Acts as a patient safety advocate by participating in ongoing quality improvement in the department.
• Applies knowledge of contemporary obstetrical/women's health nursing practice and future innovations.
• Applies the nursing process in the care of women during pregnancy, birth, postpartum, gynecological, and other women's health issues and the
neonate from birth until discharge with differing gestational ages, diagnoses, and complications.
• Provides care to women of all ages requiring triage, prioritization, assessment, education, stabilization, resuscitation, and emergency management.
• Models core cultural and safety behaviors to eliminate preventable harm, ensure worker safety and a safe, high quality experience of care.
• BSMH nurses are expected to practice and deliver care in accordance with the core concepts and intention of the BSMH Nursing Professional Practice Model.
This document is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees may be
required to perform other job-related duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
Current RN License in the state in which they are working or covered by compact (required)
BLS Basic Life Support (preferred upon hire, must obtain from approved source prior to direct patient care)
NRP Neonatal Resuscitation Program (preferred upon hire, must obtain within 6 months of hire)
ACLS Advanced Cardiac Life Support - American Heart Association (preferred)
Electronic Fetal Monitoring Certification - National Certification Corporation (preferred if interpreting fetal monitoring)
Inpatient OB Certification - National Certification Corporation (preferred)
Maternal Newborn Nursing Certification - National Certification Corporation (preferred)
Neonatal Intensive Care Certification - National Certification Corporation (required for critical care transport NICU teams within 2 years of hire)
Low Risk Neonatal Nursing Certification - National Certification Corporation (preferred)
Care of the Extremely Low Birth Weight Neonate Certification - National Certification Corporation (preferred)
Bachelor of Science Nursing (preferred)
1 year of RN experience (required)
Recent OB, ED or critical care experience (preferred)
EPIC Electronic Health Record (EHR) (preferred)
• Assigns patient care according to the nursing skill, knowledge, and scope of practice of staff.
• Orients, facilitates learning experience, and provides education (based upon quality improvement indicators, outcomes, and implementation) to nursing staff
• Possesses clinical knowledge, skills, and competency to provide evidence-based patient care in accordance with the current standards of practice, policy and
procedure, and BSMH mission.
• Performs comprehensive assessment of patient's clinical condition and psychosocial needs of the patient and their supportive resources.
• Safely and efficiently develops, implements, and prioritizes plan of care.
• Application of the nursing process in patient care delivery.
• Assesses patient's physical and emotional responses to treatment to evaluate effectiveness of intervention and patient outcomes; revises plan of care
• Assists patient and family in coping with patient's illness.
• Collaborates with others in the delivery of coordinated patient care.
• Strong interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills.
• Applies cultural diversity and inclusion principles when caring for patients and their support resources.
• Recognizes own limitations and seeks assistance and acquires information to perform safely.
• Advances personal and professional growth through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-services, and workshops.
• Exhibits professionalism through accountability for own and delegated actions.
• Integrates cost-effective measures into practice and models effective stewardship of available resources.
• Practices self-care and cultivates resilience in conflict and difficult circumstances.
• Protects the safety and privacy of all persons.
• Understanding and utilization of office and clinical technologies.
• Ability to communicate with patients in a manner they can understand considering their personal preferences.
• Compassionate, relationship-based approach to help find meaning in illness, suffering, pain, and existence.
• Remains calm, adaptive, and collective during an emergency.
• Electronic fetal monitoring.
• Conducting vaginal exams.
• Caring for the mother/fetal dyad.
• Resuscitation and stabilization of mother/fetal dyad.
• Breastfeeding support and education
• Teaching self/neonate/infant care, discharge teaching, planning, and follow up.
• Age- and department-specific emergency and lifesaving equipment.
• Ability to recognize, understand, and communicate family dynamics and parent/child relationship.
• Advanced care management skills in caring for the unstable, acute, or chronically ill neonate.
Periods of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur
May be exposed to physical altercations and verbal abuse
May be required to use physical restraints
May be exposed to high noise levels and bright lights
May be exposed to limited hazardous substances or body fluids*
May be exposed to human blood and other potentially infectious materials*
May have periods of constant interruptions
* Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning
Lifting/Carrying (0-50 lbs.): 34-66%
Lifting/Carrying (50-100 lbs.) 34-66%
Push/Pull (0-50 lbs.) 34-66%
Push/Pull (50-100 lbs.) 34-66%
Additional Physical Requirements/Hazards
Manual dexterity (eye/hand coordination)
Perform shift work
Maneuver weight of patients
Reach above shoulder
Repetitive arm/hand movements
Acuity - far
Acuity - near
Use of Latex products
Exposure to toxic/caustic/chemicals/detergents
Exposure to moving mechanical parts
Exposure to dust/fumes
Exposure to potential electrical shock
Exposure to x ray/electromagnetic energy
Exposure to high pitched noises
Gaseous risk exposure
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit.
Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interprets
the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age, specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in departmental
policies and procedures.
Neonates (0-4 weeks)
Infant (1-12 months)
Pediatrics (1-12 years)
Adolescents (13-17 years)
Adults (18-64 years)
Geriatrics (65 years and older)
Bon Secoursis an equal opportunity employer.
Many of our opportunities reward* your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- Employer contributions to retirement savings plan when eligible
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
*Benefits offerings vary according to employment status
Scheduled Weekly Hours:0.01
Department:Nursery - Southside RMC - Petersburg
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employers, please email email@example.com. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In some instances, the nurse’s voice and touch is the last thing a patient will hear or feel. This is part of our calling as nurses, to be there for our patients in all stages of life, from the beginning to the very end.Ali L. Registered Nurse
You will have days where you are the sole reason that someone is alive. You won’t find that in any other career.Michael W. Registered Nurse
Paid Time Off
Recently Viewed Jobs
- RN - Registered Nurse - Chester Emergency Department - FT Mids Midlothian, Virginia
- Lead Mammography Technologist - Full Time - Sign on bonus eligible! Richmond, Virginia
- Clinical Lead Registered Nurse (Charge/Lead RN) - 5 South Surgical - Maryview Medical Center Portsmouth, Virginia