Registered Nurse (RN)- FT Days- 4 W Thoracic Surgery Step Down- St. Mary's Hospital
At Bon Secours Mercy Health our nurses are able to see the impact they can have on our patients’ lives. We encourage and support our nurses as they develop and grow in their profession. Whether you are a new graduate nurse or joining us further along in your career we have opportunities and multiple career path options for you. Every patient means the world to someone and at Bon Secours Mercy Health our nurses mean the world to us.
“Being able to positively impact peoples' lives every single day. Great culture and friendly people at the home office in Bond Hill. New building/technology and wonderful cafeteria staff and food.”
What makes a successful Nurse at Bon Secours Mercy Health?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Compassion — We commit to accompanying those we serve with mercy and tenderness, recognizing that "being with" is as important as "doing for".
- Human dignity — We commit to upholding the sacredness of life and being respectful and inclusive of everyone.
- Service — We commit to providing the highest quality in every dimension of our ministry.
- Stewardship — We commit to promoting the responsible use of all human and financial resources, including Earth itself.
- Integrity — We commit to acting ethically and modeling right relationships in all of our individual and organizational encounters.
Registered Nurse (RN)- FT Days- 4 W Thoracic Surgery Step Down- St. Mary's HospitalRequisition R101428 Market Richmond, Virginia Department Med/Surg Telemetry Unit - St. Mary's - Richmond - Progressive CU - 4 West Shift Days/Evenings Schedule Full-time
Thank you for considering a career at Bon Secours!
Registered Nurse (RN) – St Mary's Hospital- 4W Thoracic Surgery Step Down
** $20,000 Sign On Bonus for Qualified Applicants**
Summary of Primary Function/General Purpose of Position
The New-to-Practice Stepdown Registered Nurse (RN) provides, coordinates, plans, and evaluates nursing care within established nursing procedures, professional standards, and organizational policies/philosophies under the guidance of a competent experienced RN. The New-to-Practice RN demonstrates the ability to care for a group of patients in a fast-paced, high-intensity setting as part of an interprofessional team focused on achieving the best individual patient and population outcomes. The New-to-Practice RN is responsible for demonstrating core cultural and safety behaviors to eliminate preventable harm, ensure worker safety and a safe, high quality experience of care.
Essential Job Functions
• In collaboration with an experienced Stepdown RN and other members of interdisciplinary teams, safely demonstrates basic knowledge of contemporary nursing practice.
• Applies nursing process with patients in a variety of illness or injury in all ages and populations.
• Conducts initial and ongoing patient assessment, analyzes assessment data, creates a plan of care, implements treatment, and evaluates treatment effectiveness.
• Administers medications in a safe manner consistent with the State of Practice and Bon Secours Mercy Health policies and procedures.
• Serves as point of contact for patients' care coordination throughout hospital departments.
• Acts as a patient safety advocate by participating in ongoing quality improvement in the department and collaborates with spiritual care, palliative, and ethics when needed
• Serves as a point person for care coordination for family members or caregivers.
• Clinically manages patients with multi-system organ failure and/or multisystem trauma.
• Using the AACN Synergy Model, restores, supports, promotes, rehabilitates, or palliates to maintain the physiologic, psychologic and psychosocial stability of patients across the lifespan.
• Synthesizes and prioritizes information in order to take immediate and decisive evidence-based, patient focused action using clinical judgement and clinical inquiry.
• Anticipates and responds with confidence and adapts to rapidly changing patient conditions.
• Responds to the unique needs of the patients and families coping with unanticipated illness or injury and treatment and advocate for their choices in quality of life.
• BSMH nurses are expected to practice and deliver care in accordance with the core concepts and intention of the BSMH Nursing Professional Practice Model.
This document is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees may be required to perform other job-related duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
Current RN license in state they are working or covered by compact or RN applicant (required)
BLS Basic Life Support (preferred upon hire, must obtain from approved source prior to direct patient care)
ACLS Advanced Cardiac Life Support (preferred)
Bachelor of Science Nursing (preferred)
Previous experience as an LPN or Patient Care Tech/CNA (preferred)
EPIC Electronic Health Record (EHR) training (preferred)
Completion of RN Residency Program within 18 months of hire (required)
• Possesses clinical knowledge, skills, and competency to provide evidence-based patient care in accordance with the current standards of practice, policy and procedure, and BSMH mission.
• Performs comprehensive assessment of patient's clinical condition and psychosocial needs of the patient and their supportive resources.
• Safely and efficiently develops, implements, and prioritizes plan of care.
• Application of the nursing process in patient care delivery.
• Assesses patient's physical and emotional responses to treatment to evaluate effectiveness of intervention and patient outcomes; revises plan of care accordingly.
• Assists patient and family in coping with patient's illness.
• Collaborates with others in the delivery of coordinated patient care.
• Strong interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills.
• Applies cultural diversity and inclusion principles when caring for patients and their support resources.
• Recognizes own limitations and seeks assistance and acquires information to perform safely.
• Advances personal and professional growth through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-services, and workshops.
• Exhibits professionalism through accountability for own and delegated actions.
• Integrates cost-effective measures into practice and models effective stewardship of available resources.
• Practices self-care and cultivates resilience in conflict and difficult circumstances.
• Protects the safety and privacy of all persons.
• Understanding and utilization of office and clinical technologies.
• Ability to communicate with patients in a manner they can understand considering their personal preferences.
• Compassionate, relationship-based approach to help find meaning in illness, suffering, pain, and existence.
• Remains calm, adaptive, and collective during an emergency.
• Manages care of patients with chest tubes.
• Assesses patients through hemodynamic monitoring.
• Inserts and monitors transvenous pacing/temporary pacing.
• Administers means for conscious sedation.
• Knowledge of advanced respiratory modalities.
Periods of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur
May be exposed to physical altercations and verbal abuse
May be required to use physical restraints
May be exposed to high noise levels and bright lights
May be exposed to limited hazardous substances or body fluids*
May be exposed to human blood and other potentially infectious materials*
May have periods of constant interruptions
* Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Lifting/Carrying (0-50 lbs.) 34-66%
Lifting/Carrying (50-100 lbs.) 34-66%
Push/Pull (0-50 lbs.) 34-66%
Push/Pull (50-100 lbs.) 34-66%
Additional Physical Requirements/Hazards
Manual dexterity (eye/hand coordination)
Perform shift work
Maneuver weight of patients
Hear alarms/telephone/audio recorder
Reach above shoulder
Repetitive arm/hand movements
Acuity - far
Acuity - near
Use of latex products
Exposure to toxic/caustic/chemicals/detergents
Exposure to moving mechanical parts
Exposure to dust/fumes
Exposure to potential electrical shock
Exposure to x ray/electromagnetic energy
Exposure to high pitched noises
Gaseous risk exposure
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit.
Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age, specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in departmental policies and procedures.
Adults (18-64 years)
Geriatrics (65 years and older)
- Additional Job DescriptionAdditional Job Description
As a faith-based and patient-focused organization, Mercy Health exists to enhance the health and well-being of all people in mind, body and spirit through exceptional patient care. Success in this goal requires a culture of compassion, collaboration, excellence and respect. Mercy Health seeks people that are committed to our values of compassion, human dignity, integrity, service and stewardship to create an environment where associates want to work and help communities thrive.
About Bon Secours
As a faith-based and patient-focused organization, Bon Secours exists to enhance the health and well-being of all people in mind, body and spirit through exceptional patient care. Success in this goal requires a culture of compassion, collaboration, excellence and respect. Bon Secours seeks people that are committed to our values of compassion, human dignity, integrity, service and stewardship to create an environment where associates want to work and help communities thrive.
Registered Nurse (RN) – St Mary's Hospital- 4W Thoracic Surgery Step Down
** $20,000 Sign On Bonus for Qualified Applicants**
The New Grad Progressive Care (Step down) Registered Nurse (RN) position is responsible for delivering exceptional nursing care to patients by:
- Utilizing strong organizational and leadership skills to assess patient status
- Acting as the service line between Med-Surg and ICU units
- Determining the priority of the patient’s problems and needs
- Developing and performing patient care plans to enhance and improve outcomes
- Ensuring a safe and therapeutic environment
- Collaborate with the interdisciplinary care team
- Conducts initial and ongoing patient assessment, analyzes assessment data, creates a plan of care, implements treatment, and evaluates treatment effectiveness
- Serves as point of contact for patients' care coordination throughout hospital departments
- Acts as a patient safety advocate by participating in ongoing quality improvement in the department
- Administer medications in a safe manner consistent with the State of Practice and the organization’s policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Science Nursing (preferred, not required)
- Current state licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN) or RN applicant
- Basic Life Support (BLS) – American Heart Association (preferred, not required)
- Previous experience as an LPN or Patient Care Tech/CNA (preferred)
Bon Secoursis an equal opportunity employer.
We’ll also reward your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Scheduled Weekly Hours:36
Department:Med/Surg Telemetry Unit - St. Mary's - Richmond - Progressive CU - 4 West
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employers, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at email@example.com.
In some instances, the nurse’s voice and touch is the last thing a patient will hear or feel. This is part of our calling as nurses, to be there for our patients in all stages of life, from the beginning to the very end.Ali L. Registered Nurse
You will have days where you are the sole reason that someone is alive. You won’t find that in any other career.Michael W. Registered Nurse
Paid Time Off
Recently Viewed Jobs
- Director Pharmacy - Mercy Health Clermont Hospital Batavia, Ohio
- MRI Technologist PRN Mercy Health Lorain Lorain, Ohio
- MRI Technologist Mercy Health Lorain Lorain, Ohio