Patient Access Specialist - Mercy Health St Vincent - Part Time NightsRequisition R046903 Market Toledo, OH Department SS Revenue Cycle - Legacy MH Acute Shift Nights Schedule Part-time
Thank you for considering a career at Mercy Health
11pm-7:30am; holiday and weekend rotation
The Patient Access Specialist is responsible for performing admitting duties for all patients admitted for services at Mercy Health. They are responsible for performing these functions while meeting the mission and goals of Mercy Health ministry and all regulatory compliance requirements. The Patient Access Specialist will work within the policies and processes as they are being performed across the entire organization.
Mission/Core Values: It is expected that all of the duties and responsibilities of this position will be performed in a manner consistent with the Ministry’s Standards of Behavior (CARE; Compassion: seeks to understand, listen and explain; Advocate: is the voice for the vulnerable; Respect: demonstrates the highest regard for and welcomes all people; Excellence: commits to the highest standard of quality care, joyful service, and teamwork) and in a manner that reflects the core values of Mercy Health which are: Excellence, Human Dignity, Justice, Compassion, Sacredness of Life and Service. All supervisors and above are expected to model the organizational mission and values through their daily actions, decision making and priority setting. All supervisors and above are expected to develop, implement and monitor short and long range plans to meet or surpass standards consistent with the overall strategic plan.
- 50%- Patient Access staff are responsible for assigning accurate MRNs, completing medical necessity / compliance checks, providing proper patient instructions, collecting insurance information, receiving and processing physician orders, and utilizing a overlay tool while providing excellent customer service as measured by Press Ganey. Operates the telephone switchboard to relay incoming, out-going and inter-office calls as applicable. They are to adhere to Mercy Health policies, and provide excellent customer service in these interactions with the appropriate level of compassion. Patient Access Specialists will be held accountable for point of service goals as assigned.
- 10%- Patient Access staff are responsible for the utilization of quality auditing and reporting systems to ensure accounts are corrected. These activities may include accounts for other employees, departments, and facilities. Conducts audits of accounts and assures that all forms are completed accurate, timely to meet audit standards and provides statistical data to Patient Access leadership.
- 10%- Patient Access Specialist are responsible for the pre-registration of patient accounts prior to patient visits. This may include inbound and outbound calling to obtain demographic, insurance, and other patient information including the patient financial liabilities including collecting point of service collections as well as past due balances including payment plan options.
- 10%- The Patient Access Specialist explains general consent for treatment forms to the patient/guarantor/legal guardian, obtains necessary signatures and witnesses name. Explains and distributes patient education documents, such as Important Message from Medicare, Important Message from Tricare, Observation Forms, MOON form, Consent forms, and all forms implemented for future services.
- 10%- Reviews eligibility responses in insurance verification system and appropriately selects the applicable insurance plan code, enters benefit data into system to support POS (Point of Service Collections) and billing processes to assist with a clean claim rate.
- 5%- Responsible for accurately screening of medical necessity using the Advanced Beneficiary Notice (ABN) software to inform Medicare patients of possible non-payment of test by Medicare and distribution of the ABN as appropriate. Responsible for distribution and documentation of other designated forms and pamphlets.
- 5%- Perform all other duties as assigned including answering the phones at applicable facilities
The above is intended to describe the general content and functions of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties or responsibilities. Employees may be required to perform other job related duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. The job description is subject to continual revisions as needed for patient care. Due to the services and care provided by this institution, personnel may be requested to serve in related capacities as determined by their qualifications in a different unit, department, and campus, in an effort to not disrupt patient care and continue to provide a safe environment to our patients. All employees are expected to follow Mercy Health policies and procedures, maintain high standards of safe work performance, and maintain good attendance and punctuality.
High School Diploma or GED
2 year/Associates Degree
Combination of post-secondary education and experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
Preferred: CHAA (Certified Health Access Associate)
Minimum Years and Type of Experience:
1-2 years of experience preferred
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
Understanding of Revenue Cycle including admission, billing, payments and denials. Comprehensive knowledge of patient insurance process for obtaining authorizations and benefits verification. Knowledge of Health Insurance requirements. Knowledge of medical terminology or CPT or procedure codes.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
Patient Access experience highly preferred. Typing speed of 45 words per minute required if applicable.
Performs repetitive tasks/motions
Hears alarm bells, telephone, and other sounds
Hears normal conversation
Have good manual dexterity
Have good eye-hand-foot coordination
Please indicate the activity’s level of frequency that applies to this position using the following frequency scale:
1 = Not at all within shift (0%),
2 = Occasionally within shift (1-33%),
3 = Frequently within shift (34-66%),
4 = Continuously within shift (67-100%);
Standing - 4
Walking - 4
Sitting - 3
Balancing - 3
Reaching above head – 2
Lift/Carry up to > 50- <100lbs - 1
Lift above shoulder - 2
Climbing - 1
Bending - 3
Twist at waist - 3
Push/Pull with force <50lbs - 3
Reaching above shoulder – 2
Lift from floor level up - 2
Lift above head - 2
Crouching/Squatting - 2
Crawling - 1
Push/Pull with force >50 lbs - 1
Lift/Carry up to 50 lbs - 2
Lift from waist level up - 2
Reads and interprets written/oral instructions.
Sets and meets deadlines, prioritizes work and works independently.
Identifies and understands issues and problems.
Examines data and draws logical conclusions demonstrating the ability to apply high levels of critical thinking and understanding.
Expresses or exchanges ideas by means of oral or written communications.
Makes decisions which have significant impact on the immediate work unit and monitor impact outside immediate work unit.
Organize thoughts and ideas into understandable terminology.
Must be flexible and able to adapt to change.
Periods of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur.
May be exposed to physical altercations and verbal abuse.
Required to car travel to off-site locations, occasionally in adverse weather conditions.
May be exposed to high noise levels and bright lights.
May be exposed to limited hazardous substances or body fluids.
Potential exposure to infectious organisms.
May be constantly interrupted; requiring changing from one task to another of different nature without loss of efficiency or composure.
May have periods of constant interruptions.
Prolonged periods of working alone may occur.
Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
We’ll also reward your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify.
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Scheduled Weekly Hours:16
Department:SS Revenue Cycle - Legacy MH Acute
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at email@example.com
I wanted to get into a career where I’m happy to go to work.Luis F. RN