RN (Registered Nurse) First Assistant - Surgery
At Bon Secours Mercy Health our nurses are able to see the impact they can have on our patients’ lives. We encourage and support our nurses as they develop and grow in their profession. Whether you are a new graduate nurse or joining us further along in your career we have opportunities and multiple career path options for you. Every patient means the world to someone and at Bon Secours Mercy Health our nurses mean the world to us.
“Being able to positively impact peoples' lives every single day. Great culture and friendly people at the home office in Bond Hill. New building/technology and wonderful cafeteria staff and food.”
What makes a successful Nurse at Bon Secours Mercy Health?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Compassion — We commit to accompanying those we serve with mercy and tenderness, recognizing that "being with" is as important as "doing for".
- Human dignity — We commit to upholding the sacredness of life and being respectful and inclusive of everyone.
- Service — We commit to providing the highest quality in every dimension of our ministry.
- Stewardship — We commit to promoting the responsible use of all human and financial resources, including Earth itself.
- Integrity — We commit to acting ethically and modeling right relationships in all of our individual and organizational encounters.
RN (Registered Nurse) First Assistant - SurgeryRequisition R063704 Market Toledo, Ohio Department Inpatient Surgery - St. Vincent - Surgery OR Shift Days Schedule Full-time
Thank you for considering a career at Mercy Health
Mercy Health St. Vincent
Full Time Days
Join our team today!
Higher Pay Scales and Sign-On Incentives
Accredited Residency Programs & Specialty Fellowships
Flexible Schedule to live the life you deserve
Rewarding Higher Differentials with working on the Weekend
The Registered Nurse First Assistant is responsible for the delivery of patient care utilizing the nursing process through data collection and assessment, identifying and determining the priority of patient's/ resident's/ client's problems/needs, and evaluating the process and outcome of nursing care. The RNFA collaborates with the surgeon in performing invasive or operative procedures in a safe manner with optimal outcomes for the patient whom protective reflexes or self-care abilities are potentially compromised. The RNFA must, in collaboration with the patient, family and health care team members, possess and apply knowledge of the procedure and patient's intraoperative experience throughout the patient's continuum of care, addressing their physiological, psychological, sociocultural and spiritual needs in relationship to their age and ability to respond.
- Collects health data on a systematic and continuous basis through clinical interaction, records, assessment and consultation with the health care team members, demonstrating consideration of growth and developmental needs. Formulates nursing diagnosis based on health status data and establishes patient care goals based on nursing diagnosis.
- Develops a plan of care that prescribes nursing actions to achieve patient goals. Implements nursing actions in transferring the patient according to the prescribed plan.
- Demonstrates through clinical interaction with patients, knowledge of patient and family educational needs. Demonstrates anatomy and physiology particular to the requirements of the surgical procedure.
- Creates and maintains a sterile field. Performs sponge, sharps and instruments counts. Administers drugs and solutions as prescribed. Monitors and controls the environment. Performs decontamination functions.
- Provides equipment and supplies based on the patient's needs and physician's preferences. Physiologically monitors the patients during surgery. Evaluates patient outcomes and measures effectiveness of nursing care. Continuously reassesses all components of patient care based on new data.
- Performs nursing and first assisting actions that demonstrate accountability including performance improvement. Enhances growth and development through in-services education, educational process and learning opportunities including, but not limited to pediatrics, adolescents, adult and geriatric patients.
- Under direct supervision of he surgeon, responsibilities may include but not limited to, handling a variety of tissue, providing exposure, using surgical instrumentation, suturing, providing hemostasis, and closing tissue and skin.
- Prohibitions for the RNFA: transplanting organs, or performing a surgical task/procedure, which is the primary purpose of surgery.
- Performs functions under the direct supervision of the physician and/or resident in the operating room. Retracts during operating procedure. May clamp, cut and tie bleeders. May utilize cautery as directed by physician. Demonstrates competency and skill when suturing fascia, subcutaneous tissue and skin.Suction surgical wound. May instill irrigation solution under the direction of the physician.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill in nursing theory and practice of nursing process.
- Nurses assigned to a specialty unit will be required to meet criteria established for that unit.
- Education: Graduate of an accredited college/university or institution.
- Experience: Experience Required. Must be able to circulate multiple specialty service lines independently including but not limited to; ortho, neuro, davinci and trauma.
- Registration, Certification or Licensure Requirement: Current Ohio RN licensure; BLS certification required. Other certification required per department policy.
- Performs repetitive tasks/motions
- Hears alarm bells, telephone, and other sounds
- Hears normal conversation
- Have good manual dexterity
- Have good eye-hand-foot coordination
- Have clarity of vision: near (< 20”)
- Have clarity of vision: mid (>20”-20’)
- Have clarity of vision: far (>20’)
- Distinguish colors
- Reads and interprets written/oral instructions
- Sets and meets deadlines, prioritizes work and works independently
- Identifies and understands issues and problems
- Examines data and draws logical conclusions demonstrating the ability to apply high levels of critical thinking and understanding
- Expresses or exchanges ideas by means of oral or written communications
- Makes decisions which have significant impact on the immediate work unit and monitor impact outside immediate work unit
- Organize thoughts and ideas into understand terminology
- Must be flexible and able to adapt to change
- Shift: Days
- Hours: 8 Hour Shifts
- Hours per pay period: 80
- Weekend, holiday and on-call rotation required per department policy
Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
We’ll also reward your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify.
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Department:Inpatient Surgery - St. Vincent - Surgery OR
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, please email email@example.com. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
In some instances, the nurse’s voice and touch is the last thing a patient will hear or feel. This is part of our calling as nurses, to be there for our patients in all stages of life, from the beginning to the very end.Ali L. Registered Nurse
You will have days where you are the sole reason that someone is alive. You won’t find that in any other career.Michael W. Registered Nurse
Paid Time Off